Thursday, January 19, 2012

Coffee? Craaack!

Why, oh why, does this happen? I swear, the makers of french press carafes know that if they make the glass thin, it will break easily, ensuring them (I'm sure) lots of return customers replacing broken carafes (although there is no replacement for the lost morning with no coffee and a broken carafe).


But why now? Why, when the coffee is ground and the tea kettle screaming, my mouth cottony and morning-y, my head throbbing ever so slightly for caffeine, that the crack in the carafe continues to widen? I'll save the suspense and just tell you, despite the breakage, my quick thinking and ingenuity saved me, my cup was indeed filled. I overfilled the press and placed it on a plate where it collected about a quarter cup of seeped coffee, leaving me 12 ounces in the busted glass. 


As I stood there, watching the pre-coffee seep out/brew inside the carafe, several thoughts seeped out of my clouded mind. Those Bodun jerks! Who are they and why, oh why, is the glass so thin? Is there even a reason?! Maybe I shouldn't whack the bottom so hard when I dump the grounds in the compost, that could definitely shorten the life of the glass. Dang, I hope my coffee makes it to the cup! What a messy hassle this brewed coffee is, I should switch back to tea...and then it hit me.

1) The mechanics of the french press are simple: coarse ground coffee, hot water, brew for four minutes, strain the grounds from the liquid, drink! and be happy. 2) I only ever make one cup of coffee in the press I have which is made for three 12oz (or so) cups, so my current press is a little overkill. 3) I'm a bit on the shallow end of the money pool right now and I don't want to buy a new carafe...but I still want a fresh cup of coffee in the morning. And finally, 4) Coffee has a limited shelf life in my mind so the rest of my Christmas coffee needs to be drunk as soon as humanly possible. I need a brewing implement, for cheap/free in the next, oh, twenty hours. I'm no freezer of coffee, it's got to be fresh, it's got to be black and it has to be good quality. Once a barista, always a barista.



 No one should be without their fix when their carafe breaks, a little creative thinking and some patience while straining...and I give to you, the cheapest, easily accessible brewer of fine coffee: a peanut butter jar (16oz, enough for 12 oz of brew and the grounds (I use about two tablespoons of unground beans in my burr grinder to produce a little bit more than 2 tbsp when coarsely ground) with holes poked in the lid (I tried to make sure there were a bunch of small holes that the grounds wouldn't fit through....not a totally groundless cup, that's for sure).

Seriously though, I should switch back to tea....

2 comments:

Leslie Grant said...

I wish I woulda read this yesterday! Before you came over today, that is. We have an extra carafe. You are always the inventor, though, and you seized the opportunity. Tea is fine but, really, there is nothing like a cup of coffee in the morning.

Unknown said...

thanks mom!