Saturday, November 19, 2011

Considerations Before Digging In

Since my new project is also something of an experiment I thought I should brain web out from the central project and see what my goals were, what obstacles I may encounter and what design features/elements I should keep in mind. I also have to collaborate with my upstairs neighbour Jez because the garden was started by her before I got here. Okay, here it goes:

Ultimate Goal: To build and tend a backyard garden that could sustain all of my food needs for one year-->Most of my food needs-->A goodly amount of my food needs

Major Considerations:
>Soil quality, I've heard sheet composting works well, but how long does that take? Will it work for crummy clay soils?
>Location of plants
>Types of plants to grow
>How much should I realistically add (amount of dirt to work) to existing cultivated soil
>Raised beds? This requires an influx of soil
>Composter, bin, system of bins, rotating drum (are these really considered "batch" composters or can you continually add material)
>Rain barrel(s), can I install them?
>Existing grass removal, what is the best way? Can I till it in? Use it for compost?
>Cost of materials. Trying to keep this as low as possible, existing, recycled or found would be best.
-->I should keep track of how many car miles it takes to import material
>Chickens?
-->How much is too much to handle?

This is just a starting point, I've also started a garden journal in a small notebook to keep with me so that whenever I mention this project to someone, I can jot their contribution (everyone has one, some more helpful than others) down. I've gotten some good tidbits this way, I've also gotten some, shall we say, colorful critiques.

What could be bad about this?

No comments: